Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

One Day At A Time

I remember years ago I worked in a dental office. I was assisting two particularly horrible hygienists and working four rooms by myself. (Julie, not you!) The charts weren't being put back on time and the rooms weren't getting cleaned and I couldn't get anyone to follow my schedule. I was so upset that people were waiting and not happy that it was making me lose confidence in myself even though I was doing the best I could in the situation. I spent most of the day bouncing between rooms trying to please everyone and do everything and it made me less and less happy. That's when I received some advise:

Sometimes life is like standing in a snow storm. Each flake is beautiful and has value. But if you try to focus too deeply on each one you lose track of others and everything begins to go white and you become blind in the snow. But if you step back a bit. Let your eyes soften their focus. You can look through the flakes and you can take them all in and still find your way in the spaces in between.

Its not about doing everything perfectly. Or doing it quickly. Or even doing it right. Sometimes life is about taking it all in and seeing the beauty around you while continuing to move forward. You can't let yourself get weighed down with problems and goals that may no longer be important in helping you reach your destination. It doesn't mean ignore the snowflakes. It just means to take them all in as a part of the bigger beautiful picture.

This is a lesson I entirely suck at following. I like being good at what I do. I pride myself in it. So many things came easily to me before. They don't always now. It doesn't mean they won't again some day. But I get really lost trying to hold myself up to a level of expectations for my life I had when my abilities were different and I don't see all the amazing things I'm still doing. I need to change how I set goals for myself. I need to give myself credit for the goals I accomplish. I also have to not get so focused on the goals I set and where I want my life to go that I'm missing the place I'm at now. The view from here has its own merit and worth.

I'm trying now to live in the balance. Not to stand still and wait for life to move me. But also not to push myself so that I am set up to fail or fall. And the funny thing about when you start living life the right way....the Universe sends people to help you along. Sometimes in words of encouragement from a friend *cough* Hal *cough*. And sometimes in the kindness of community and people you've yet to meet. Thank you to everyone that has read my first post on Hal's recommendation today. Your kind words and encouragement and love mean more to me than I can say. When my faith in myself is lacking there you all came to build me up. We all have different beliefs. I think we can all agree that the Universe sets us on the path to meet the people in our lives we're supposed to meet when we need them the most. We're lucky to have one another. I am lucky to have all of you here. Thank you.

My goals for today were simple. To watch the sun rise.
And to find joy in the simple things in life...
                                                                                    ....like running through sprinklers!

And to see the beauty that I often miss while I'm looking forward instead of around me.

And most importantly. To remember to take life One Day At A Time.

5 comments:

  1. Lovely! :) And you're right, and I suck at that lesson too. Which is why this blog is quite timely. I conclude that will happen a bunch throughout this next year. Our journeys are not identical, but they are very very similar. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed they are! Which is why we're such a great support system! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. my guru told me to say 5 living things i am grateful for every morning. i don't always do this but it is real hard to be sad when you hear a bird, feel the sun's rays, a tree rustling in the breeze, or my neighbor's dog bark and he's getting old now and is sounding sad.
    i have learned so many things and experienced so many blessings that would have never experienced any other way. i will never feel sorry for myself or wish i had a different fight. i am humbled at how so many special things have been given to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a migraine right now, so my response will be short. This blog is so timely for me, too. I suck at that lesson as well, and I tend to focus on what I can't do because of my accident instead of how far I've come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you're feeling better Victoria! x

    ReplyDelete